Fold a Paper Gift Box Activity
Help your child make the next gift she gives extra special with a hand made gift box. Once it's completed, have your little gift-giver fill it with small, lightweight presents like earrings, a necklace or candy.
What You Need:
- 6 by 6 inch paper square (box base)
- 6 ¼ by 6 ¼ inch paper square (box lid)
- Flat work surface
What You Do:
- Using the 6 by 6 inch piece of paper, fold in half horizontally. Unfold. Fold in half vertically. Unfold. The folds cross in the center of the square.
- Fold the corners of the square in to the center. This will create a smaller square. See Photo 2.
- Now fold the left side of this square to the center. Then fold the right side to the center. It will look like double doors. See Photo 3.
- Unfold these doors.
- Now fold the top of the square down to the center and the bottom of the square up to the center. Unfold these doors. Unfold the top and bottom triangles as well. See Photo 4.
- The square in the center of the paper will be the base of your box. Fold points A and B in to the center of the horizontal line that connects Point A to Point B. Push the rectangle down and in, to line the inside of the side, and the triangle down and in, to line the base. See Photo 5. Repeat on the opposite side.
- To make the lid, use the 6 ¼ x 6 ¼ inch piece of paper. Repeat Steps 1 through 5. When you have made your lid, it will be slightly bigger than the base and can be fitted down over it.