Have an empty cereal box you're ready to toss in the bin? Let's turn that box into a wacky fashion statement! Help your child recycle that box into some super silly glasses with some paper, markers and a handful of brightly colored pipe cleaners. She can make the glasses rectangular, square, round or even star-shaped and give them some personality by drawing and coloring the eyes! Make glasses for the whole family and capture the memories with a silly photoshoot! A few more accessories – hats, boas, fake mustaches or tiaras – can add to the fun.
What You Need:
- Lightweight cardboard box such as a cereal box
- Pipe cleaners
What You Do:
- Start by having your child draw her glasses on a sheet of paper. She can trace a drinking glass for round glasses or a coaster for something square. Just make sure that the two lenses are close enough together so that she'll actually be able to see through them.
- Next, cut the glasses out of the paper. Don't cut out the lenses so that you have just a frame, because she's going to draw a pair of giant eyes on the lenses.
- Hold the glasses up to her face and mark where the eye holes need to be. Now, cut them out to make sure they're in the proper place.
- Once you've marked and/or cut out the eye holes, have her draw and color in the eyes. She can make them dramatic, angry, super silly, or simply open extra wide. The choice is hers to make.
- Glue the glasses onto the lightweight cardboard. If you can, space them so that you can draw the temples (or arms) as part of the frame and bend them into place when the glasses are done. If the cardboard isn't big enough to make the frame one piece, cut out two strips for the arms of the glasses and tape them in place. Make sure that the temples and earpieces will fit your child's face and head correctly.
- Now it's time to decorate the glasses frames. Manipulate the pipe cleaners so that they roughly fit the frames, and then glue them in place.
Wear your wacky glasses around town and enjoy all the giggles you inspire!