Paper Mache Costume
The elephant bird was a large flightless bird that lived only on the island of Madagascar, but are now extinct. Most elephant birds were almost twice the size of an ostrich! Create an elephant bird head and neck so you can pretend the bird has come back to life!
What You Need:
- 3 -foot wooden dowel rod
- Big party ballon
- Strips of recycled newspaper
- Acrylic paint
- Sheer fabric
- Masking tape
- Yellow card stock or construction paper
What You Do:
- Inflate your party ballon to its full size and tie the opening.
- On the end of the ballon that is tied, tape your ballon to one end of your 2-3 foot wooden dowel rod.
- Mix a batch of paper mache paste. I like to use 1 cup flour, 1.5 cups water, and 1/4 cup white glue.
- Dip your recycled newspaper (that has been pre-cut into strips) into your paper mache paste and place the strips over the ballon until the entire ballon is covered.
- Let the paper mache glue dry overnight.
- Using your acrylic paint, paint your elephant bird head. Make sure to include eyes when you are painting.
- With masking tape, attach a piece of see-through shear fabric to the area where the dowel rod meets the ballon. This will disguise you so that you will look more like and elephant bird.
- Add feathers to the top and neck of your elephant bird head.
- Fold a triangle of your yellow card stack paper and glue it to your painted head for the elephant bird beak.
- Now you are ready to go pecking around in your elephant bird head!