Paper Plate Pilgrim
Bring the rich history of Thanksgiving to life with a quirky and sweet paper plate craft. Using simple art supplies (plus a paper plate, of course), your child will come face to face with the iconic image of a Pilgrim.
What You Need:
- Paper plate
- Black construction paper
- Wiggle eyes
What You Do:
- Have your child cut out the center circle of your paper plate, leaving the ruffled border.
- Help her cut roughly a third of the ruffled border -- this will be her Pilgrim's fluffy collar.
- Let her glue the ruffled collar to the center circle.
- Have her use the leftover ruffled border to cut out big eyebrows, hair and a mustache.
- Set up a painting workspace by layering newspaper over a table.
- Let your child paint the eyebrows, hair and mustache one color.
- Show your child how to draw a Pilgrim's hat on a piece of black construction paper.
- Have her cut out the hat.
- Help her use glue to attach the Pilgrim's eyebrows, hair, mustache, hat and wiggle eyes to his face.
- Let her draw a stripe and a buckle on the hat.
- For the final touch, have her glue a long piece of string to the back of the paper plate. Now she can hang up her festive craft for all your Thanksgiving guests to see!