What You Need:
- 1 recipe Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
- 12 ounces gluten free penne pasta or other short pasta (brown rice pasta works well)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces sweet grape tomatoes
- ½ sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, optional
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (optional)
What You Do:
- Prepare the red pepper pesto and set aside.
- Cook the pasta al dente as directed on the package.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the tomatoes and cover with a lid. Cook until they begin to soften and pop, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook for about a minute.
- Add the spinach, if using, and sauté until the leaves begin to wilt.
- Stir in the red pepper pesto and cook until the pesto just begins to bubble. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss well. Cook another minute, just until the pasta is heated through.
- Plate and enjoy! For a cheesier baked version, pour the pasta into a casserole dish and top with mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 20 minutes until the cheeses are melted and bubbly.
- Serve as a main or side dish.
For non-vegetarians, boost the flavor and heartiness by stirring in a can of oil-packed tuna before serving.
Did You Know?
Lycopene, found in both tomatoes and bell peppers, is thought to help protect against cancer and heart disease.