Challenge your kid to use his knowledge about percentages in this fun game. Just roll the dice and race to calculate the percentage. Whoever gives the correct answer first earns a point and the first person to reach 15 points wins! In this game your kid will practice working out the percentages with the help of a calculator, a great tool for determining percentages.
Before getting started, it might help to briefly review how percentages work:
A percentage is a fraction or a part of a whole. Therefore, when working to find a percentage of a number, you will need to convert the percentage value to a decimal. For example, 25 % is equal to 0.25. You will multiply by the decimal amount to determine the percent. For example 25% of 60 is 0.25 x 60.
What You Need:
- Deck of cards with the face cards amd aces removed
- 2 dice
- One calculator per player
What You Do:
- Explain to your child that in order to determine the percentage she will be working with in each round, she'll need to add a zero to the card she draws. For example, if she draws an 8 the percentage she'll need to calculate will be 80
- Shuffle the deck of cards and place the cards face down in the center of the play area.
- The first player should turn over a card and roll the dice. Players race to see who can get the correct percentage of the number rolled on the dice. For example, if the total of the 2 dice was 11 and the percent was 20%, players try to determine what is 20% of 11.
- The first player to get the correct answer wins that round and gets a point.
- Play continues until one player reaches 15 points.
Instead of adding the dots on the dice, have one die stand for the tens place of a number and the other stand for the ones place. For example, if a player rolls a 2 and a 6, the number could be 26 or 62.