Make Your Own Perfume
Powder yourself pretty with this homemade perfumed body powder made with household ingredients! Kids will be surprised at how simple flowers and plants from nature can transform corn starch into a sweet smelling body product that’s safe for anyone to use. Ingredients like lavender, rose and cloves are often featured in fancy perfumes, and now your child can use them to personalize her very own scent.
What You Need:
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Coffee filter
- Scotch tape
- Empty glass jar and lid
- Paper lunch bag
- 1 cup corn starch
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 2 ½ tablespoons lavender flowers
- 2 tablespoons rose petals
- 1 ½ teaspoons cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
What You Do:
- Have your child measure and mix the cornstarch and baking soda in a bowl.
- Then have her measure the lavender and rose petals into a separate bowl.
- Smash the flower petals into small pieces, until it’s almost a paste. A mortar and pestle also works, if you have them.
- Let your child pour the flower mixture into the bowl of corn starch mixture and stir everything together.
- Next, she’ll make an aroma packet. Have her measure cloves, cinnamon, and citrus peel into a coffee filter. Help her fold the coffee filter around the spices and tape the packet closed with scotch tape.
- Have your child place the aroma packet in the bottom of the glass jar. Next, spoon the powder mixture into the jar, over the aroma packet.
- Let the jar needs to sit inside a paper bag for two weeks to help the scents mix.
- In two weeks, you can remove the coffee filter and decorate the jar with stickers and ribbons.
This activity also makes a great Mother’s Day gift!