Top of the Heap
Playing a tactile game with multiplication will help your child get a better grasp of basic math concepts and is much faster way to multiply than figuring it out on paper. This competitive game will transform your kid into a master multiplier.
What You Need:
- Deck of playing cards
- 1 die
- Scratch paper, 1 per player
- Pencil, 1 per player
What You Do:
- Ask your child to shuffle the cards and place them face down in a pile in the center of the table.
- Have her roll the die twice. The first roll determines the number of piles of cards she'll need to create. The second roll shows how many playing cards she'll need to place face down on each of the piles she creates.
- After she makes the piles of cards based on the rolls, she should add up the total number of cards she placed in the piles. Ask her to try multiplying them in her head first, then count them aloud.
- Ask her to write her score down on the scratch paper.
- Repeat this process with each player.
- Play for 10 rounds. Whoever ends up using the most cards wins!