Pilgrim Hat Cookies Activity
Pilgrim hat cookies are tasty Thanksgiving treats! Give thanks with a batch of these adorable pilgrim hat cookies. Your child will race to the kitchen to make these fluffy marshmallow and chocolate cookies that taste a little like s'mores. Make pilgrim hat cookies a Thanksgiving tradition for the whole family.
What You Need:
- Large marshmallows
- Chocolate chips
- Sugar or shortbread cookie mix
- Yellow Chiclets
- Black licorice whips in thin strands
- Double boiler, or two pots
- Two forks
- Wax paper
- Baking tray
What You Do:
- Help your child prepare the cookie mix, following the recipe.
- Cut out cookies that are about 2 inches in diameter, and bake, then set aside to cool. They will be used for the brim of the hat.
- Place the cooled cookies on a baking tray covered with wax paper with a small space between each one. Set a bowl with the marshmallows and some toothpicks beside them.
- Show your child how to melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler. If you do not have a double boiler, fill two cups of water in a pot, and stack a dry, empty pot on top of the pot with water. Turn the heat up to medium and melt the chocolate chips. Be careful not to burn the chocolate; it will need to be stirred often.
- As soon as the chocolate melts, scoop a tablespoon of melted chocolate on top of each of the cookies.
- Have your child dip a marshmallow into the melted chocolate and use a toothpick to turn it over to coat completely. Allow any excess chocolate to drip off the marshmallow and place it vertically on top of a cookie. Repeat until all of the cookies have chocolate covered marshmallows on top.
- While the chocolate is still warm, press a yellow Chiclet into the front base of each marshmallow, just above where it meets the cookie, to create the hat buckle. Cut down pieces of black licorice to wrap around the base of the hat.
- Allow the hats to cool and harden in the refrigerator, and then enjoy!