Pine Cone Turkey
This pine cone turkey makes an adorable Thanksgiving decoration! This Thanksgiving, help your child make an adorable pine cone turkey, or make a whole flock that can double as personalized place settings for each member of the family. Each pine cone turkey is simple to make and festive for the holiday decorations. Don't be surprised if pine cone turkeys become a Thanksgiving Day tradition!
What You Need:
- Pine cones
- Colored pencils
- Disposable napkins
What You Do:
- Have your child use a pen to draw a peanut shape on a piece of paper. The shape should be at least three inches tall—maybe larger depending on the size of your pine cone.
- Next to the peanut shape, have her draw a small upside down triangle.
- Have her use colored pencils to color the peanut shape reddish-brown and the triangle yellow.
- Let her carefully cut out both shapes.
- Have your child glue the yellow beak to the peanut shape.
- To complete the turkey head, have her use a pen to add eyes and a wattle, the bright red bit of skin that hangs under the beak.
- Help her use a small amount of glue to attach the turkey head to the pine cone. The head will stick better if she places it on the stem-side of the pine cone.
- Time to design the tail feathers! Have your child draw pointy feathers on paper.
- Let her color each feather with familiar fall colors like purple, orange, red and yellow. Encourage her to get creative. She can add stickers, paint or even glitter to her turkey feathers.
- Who's coming to dinner for Thanksgiving? Pick one family member and write each letter of his or her name on a feather.
- Help her cut out each feather.
- Carefully glue each tail to the backside of the pine cone. Make sure the letters of the name are in the right order!
- Keep making pinecones so that your child can present each dinner guest or family member with a pine cone turkey place setting.
- When Thanksgiving Day finally arrives, have your child arrange the turkeys around the table, successfully assigning each person a place to sit.
- Place a napkin next to each turkey.
- Let your child use a pen to draw tiny turkey foot steps on each napkin.
- Now everyone at the table with have their own personalized piece of Thanksgiving charm—thanks to your child!