Pine Cone Bird Feeder
Science is all around us, you just need to know where to look. In preschool, nature is at the heart of all things science, whether it's talking about animals, comparing leaves and rocks, or discussing the seasons. This homemade bird feeder will bring some feathered friends in for some closer observation and it’s a breeze for little kids to make!
What You Need:
- Heavy duty string or yarn
- Pine cone
- Peanut butter
- Small plastic knife
- Small paper bowl or plate
What You Do:
- Tie the string around the top of the shoelace and knot it, leaving enough string to hang it up from a tree branch.
- Give your child the plastic knife and have her spread peanut butter over the pine cone, until it’s completely covered.
- Pour the bird seed into the disposable plate or bowl, then let your child roll the pine cone in it.
Hang your new creation on a tree branch near a window, and wait for some birds! As you observe your visitors, talk to your child about what’s the same about each of them, and what’s different. You may just seed yourself a birdwatcher for life!