Make Pink Popcorn Pops!
Show your child how to give that plain red lollipop some pizazz this Valentine’s Day! With some popcorn, pink marshmallow goo and a few decorations, she can take that regular lollipop and jazz it up into a super tasty treat! These lovely lollipops will wow your child, and make great gifts for friends or teachers. Your child will strengthen her motor skills and create a yummy final product, making this project well worth the sticky hands!
What You Need:
- 7 cups popped popcorn
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 cups of miniature marshmallows
- 8 lollipops (Dum-Dums or heart shaped lollipops)
- Red food coloring
- Candy for decorating, such as red hots or red sprinkles
- Cupcake cups (Use Valentine colors if you have them, or white)
What You Do:
- Have your child place the popped popcorn in a buttered bowl.
- Ask him to melt the marshmallows and butter together over low heat, until it is smooth and creamy. Be sure to continuously stir it so it doesn’t stick to the pot and burn.
- Once this mixture is completely melted, remove it from the heat.
- Help your child add a couple of drops of food coloring until the mixture reaches his desired pink color.
- Carefully pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the popcorn. Remember: the marshmallows will be hot! Let the mixture cool with the popcorn, and then have your child mix the two together until the popcorn is completely coated.
- Invite your child to butter his hands and fingers. He will love this part! Have one person hold the lollipop (be sure to remove any wrappers), and have your child take some popcorn mixture and squeeze it around the lollipop until the lollipop is no longer visible. With buttered hands, shaped the popcorn around the lollipop until it looks like a ball.
- Ask your child to take a cupcake paper and press it through the bottom of the lollipop stick, pushing it up until it’s cupping the popcorn ball.
- Have him place the confections onto a piece of wax paper.
- Lastly, invite your child to take some red hots or cinnamon candy and decorate the homemade popcorn lollipops! They’ll make a great gift, or a fun (and sticky!) treat to eat right away!