Bake Pizza Muffins
Make a tasty and healthy afternoon snack based on everyone’s favorite food – pizza! Your child can personalize these muffins by adding his favorite toppings. Not only will he be making a tasty treat, but honing his culinary skills as well.
What You Need:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each of dried basil and oregano
- ¾ cup pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
- Additional toppings, such as diced olives, green onions, or mushrooms
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Muffin tins
- Vegetable oil for greasing the tins
- Paper towel
What You Do:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Invite your child to practice healthy habits and wash her hands before handling food. Then show him how to whisk together the egg, milk, and vegetable oil in a bowl.
- Now he can get out the measuring spoons and add the basil, oregano, salt, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder – that’s a lot of measuring, which encourages your child’s math skills and culinary abilities! He can use the whisk to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Next, he can add the flour and give everything a good stir using the spatula.
- Now he can gently fold in ½ cup of the pasta sauce, leaving ¼ cup for topping her pizza muffins. He can also carefully fold in ¾ cup of the shredded cheese, leaving ¼ cup for the topping.
- Invite your child to ready the muffin tins by coating them with a drizzle of oil. He can use a paper towel to evenly distribute the oil in the muffin tins.
- Now he can scoop some muffin dough into each of the muffin tins, leaving a bit of room at the top for her additional toppings.
- Along with adding a dollop more of pasta sauce and some shredded cheese for each pizza muffin, your child can also chop and add a sprinkling of olives, green onion, or mushrooms – whatever he likes!
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.