Who knew it was so easy to plant an herb garden? Even if you live in an apartment, you and your child can grow your own pizza-themed container garden. Simply start with a pot or window box, as well as some basil, thyme, and oregano plants. His experiment with beginning gardening is bound to taste especially delicious, because you've grown this herb garden together. Plus, this project makes for a great bonding experience!
What You Do:
- Have your child fill the bottom of the container with pebbles or gravel. This will help the soil drain so that the plants never sit in standing water.
- Next, have him cover the gravel with several inches of potting soil. Getting a little messy is half the fun!
- Now, show him how to slip the plants out of their pots. Help him scoop a hollow into the soil in the planter and then add the plants one at a time. Explain that the plants you'll grow are not only edible, but are actually the herbs that taste best on pizza!
- After all of the plants are in the pot or planter, fill in any gaps between the plants with additional potting soil.
- Finally, have him put the planter in a bright location. If possible, herbs like several hours of direct sun per day.
- Encourage your child to make a calendar that reminds him to give the plants a little water each day. Watering is crucial for the garden's continued growth, but it's also a good exercise for him to practice dedication and get used to having a big responsibility!
If you snip a bit here and there from the plants, they will continue to grow all summer long. So, don't feel bad about gathering what you need to make mini-bagel pizzas. To do this, place sliced mini-bagels on a cookie sheet or baking stone. Add a small amount of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with chopped herbs. Add some mozzarella cheese and heat in the oven until the cheese is bubbly. Be careful; they’ll be hot ... but yummy!