Plastic Soap Dish
Recycle an old soda bottle into a beautiful, functional soap dish! In this environmentally-friendly project, your child will easily learn how to transform a disposable item into an object worth keeping with just a pair of scissors and some paint markers.
What You Need:
- 1 or 2 liter plastic bottle, empty, clean and dry
- Paint markers
- Craft knife
What You Do:
- Help your child start the project by cutting a slit with a craft knife into the bottle at the half-way point. The slit should be large enough that your child can slide a hole punch into the bottle.
- Have her slide the hole punch into the bottle and punch out a hole. Then draw a straight line around the bottle matching up to either side of the punched out hole.
- Use a scissors to cut along the line. The hole punch should be enough area to begin cutting from.
- Recycle the top portion of the bottle, or set it aside for a different art project.
- Draw a wavy line around the top edge of the cut bottle to create a scalloped edge. Cut around the wavy line and recycle the leftover plastic.
- Use the paint markers to design a fun and beautiful pattern around the base of the plastic bottle, turning it into a soap dish.
Put your favorite smelling soap in your new dish while you help to save the environment!