Venture outside to enjoy the warm spring weather...and indulge in a colorful game of I Spy while you're at it! Kids love this classic game, and this color-themed version is just as fun but twice as educational. If your preschooler needs help with color recognition, this is just the game for her. She'll get to play outside and enjoy nature all while learning her colors.
What You Need:
- Card stock or other sturdy paper (index cards work well too)
- Markers in a rainbow of colors
What You Do:
- Begin by talking about color with your child, using the markers as a guide. Take each marker out of the package one at a time and ask her to name the colors as you go along.
- Cut the card stock into 5" x 7" rectangles. If you're using index cards, move on to step 3.
- Have your child draw a picture of a flower, plant, or other spring thing on the front of each card, using only one color for each card.
- Now turn each card over and write the name of the color you used on that card on the back using the same color marker. For some handwriting practice, try writing the words lightly in pencil first, then having her trace over the letters in marker.
- Now it's time to play! Take the cards outside. Choose one card and ask your child to name the color, then turn the card over to reveal the color word.
- Now look around outside and find something natural (like a tree or flower) that's the same color as the card.
- Once you've found something, turn to your child and say, “I spy something with my eye that is the color_____”. Encourage her to try and find the object you chose. Give her descriptive word clues to help point her in the right direction. If she guesses another object that is the right color, let her know that her pick is also correct.
- Continue playing by repeating steps 5-7 for the rest of the color cards. Once she finds all the colors, she wins!
During the course of the game, invite your child to select unique adjectives to describe each color. Encourage her to get creative with her word choices and use her imagination!