Play With Your Food! Activity
Pumpkin seeds are a nutritious treat that come from the inside of a pumpkin. In this activity, your child will use 50 pumpkin seeds to create a picture of a pumpkin! By painting the seeds and positioning them properly on a sheet of paper, he'll create a textured mosaic. Your child will also be challenged to figure out how many seeds need to be painted orange, brown, or green to create a proportional pumpkin.
What You Need:
- 50 pumpkin seeds
- Tempera paint (orange, brown, green)
- White paper
What You Do:
- Set the sheet of paper on a table and ask your child to arrange the 50 seeds into the configuration of a pumpkin. Have them count out how many seeds it takes to make the orange part of the pumpkin, the brown part of the stem and the green part of a leaf.
- Cover the table with newspaper. Place the seeds on top of the newspaper.
- Ask your child to paint the correct amount of seeds each color. Allow the seeds to dry.
- Have him arrange the seeds into a pumpkin on the paper, counting out the seeds as he goes.
- Glue the seeds in place to finish creating an autumn mosaic.