What You Do:
- Help your preschooler run a line of white glue down one side of the clothes pin. Let it set for about a minute so the pom poms stay in place better. While the glue sets, have your child choose which pom poms he would like to use. He can create a repeating color pattern, match the colors of the caterpillar in the book, or choose a completely different set of colors. Once he's selected his pom poms, ask your child what foods his caterpillar ate that made him change these colors.
- Have your preschooler carefully place his pom poms in the line of glue to form his caterpillar.
- Ask your preschooler to bend the pipe cleaner into a “V” shape to create the antennae. Insert the antennae between the first and second pom poms, holding the pom poms in place, if necessary, while the glue re-sets.
- Put two dots of glue where the eyes will go on the first pom pom. Have your preschooler put the eyes in place.
- Let the glue dry completely.
- If you would like to make your caterpillar into a magnet, have your child glue the magnet to the bottom of the clothes pin.
Place your pom pom caterpillar on the refrigerator and use it to hold the school menu, grocery list, or coupons for the week!