In the mood for a bit of silly science? Help your child create a truly one-of-a-kind planter out of a potato head! She'll get to personalize her goofy, edible friend before waiting for its radish seed hair to sprout.
What You Need:
- Two cotton balls
- Permanent marker
- Radish seeds
What You Do:
- Help your child use a spoon to to dig a small hole in the top of her potato. The hole should be about one inch deep.
- Have her draw a face on the potato with a permanent marker. Remind her that a face's expression can reveal a lot about a person, creature -- or potato creature! What will the face she draws reveal about her potato?
- Let her soak the cotton balls in water.
- Have her place the damp cotton balls in the hole on top of the potato.
- Show her how to sprinkle the radish seeds on top of the cotton.
- Help your child pick a sunny spot to place her potato creature.
- Over the next few days, have her watch the potato and keep the cotton damp.
- Soon the radish seeds should sprout right out of the potato's head, creating some fun and funky green hair! What other creatures does your child think she could make?