Who needs a plastic potato head when you can use the real thing? Let your child decorate his new pal with delicious and nutricious fruits and vegetables that will make this toy a tasty treat for later.
What You Need:
- Small toothpicks
What You Do:
- Most potatoes don't stand up on their own very well. Help your child get started by using a knife to cut off the end of the potato, creating a flat surface.
- Have your child set up his play station by covering a table with a layer of newspaper.
- Set the cut potato on the newspaper.
- Help your child break each of his toothpicks in half.
- Gather a bunch of cut fruits and vegetables on the newspaper for your child to use. Carrots make great noses, for example, and olives make silly eyes.
- Show him how to stick a blunt end of the toothpick into the body of the potato where he will want to add facial features.
- Have him press the pieces of fruits or vegetables onto the the toothpick.
- Let him keep experimenting and rearranging his potato face's features until he gets hungry!