This St. Patrick's Day, bond with your child over some delicious potato pancakes. The best part about these pancakes is that they'll work for any meal of the Irish holiday. Grab a potato and get cooking!
What You Need:
- 1 small Russet potato
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 small egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Ice cream scoop
What You Do:
- Ask your child to thoroughly wash her hands with warm water and soap.
- Help her to rinse off the potato under warm water to wash away any dirt.
- Ask her place the bowl out on a clean, flat surface.
- Help your child place the grater inside of the bowl.
- Then, show her how to grate the potato into the bowl. Take over duties when the potato get very small so your child doesn't accidentally hurt herself.
- Encourage your child to place the grater into the sink.
- Next, help your child combine the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt into the bowl.
- Using the spoon, have her toss the dry ingredients with the potato pieces to coat them.
- Help her pour the milk and unsalted butter into the bowl as well.
- Next, have your child crack the egg into the bowl. Be sure to help her make sure no shell pieces get into the batter.
- Using the spoon, help your child mix all of the ingredients together to form the pancake batter.
- Next, have her place the skillet onto the stove.
- Show her how to preheat the skillet to medium heat.
- Have your child add a small amount of oil to the skillet and spread it around.
- Then, help your child very carefully spoon some batter into the heated pan using the ice cream scoop.
- Ask your child to help you watch the pancake until bubbles begin to break the surface.
- Show your child how to flip the pancake using the turner.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Help your child very carefully transfer the pancake to a plate using the turner.
- Finally, help her repeat steps 15-19 until all of the batter has been used.
Enjoy your delicious potato pancakes as you discuss the history of St. Patricks Day.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.