Want a way to keep kids occupied during your next dinner party? There's no reason food can't be fun for kids, too. While you whip up mashed potatoes, your child and friends can craft their own silly spud characters. Great for imagination and keeping boredom at bay, this activity shows you how to turn your next social gathering into a potato people extravaganza!
What You Need:
- Fabric scraps
- Construction paper
- Permanent marker
What You Do:
- Pass out a potato to each child.
- Encourage each child to use a permanent marker to draw a face on his potato person. If he wants, he can first draw the face on a piece of scratch paper to practice. Urge each child to pick a face that is very expressive or depicts a specific mood.
- Next, have each child dress his potato up. To make hair, he can simply push pieces of yarn into the top of a potato using a bobby pin or other sharp object. (Make sure he's careful!) He can make a hat or bandanna out of construction paper or a piece of fabric.
- Dress your potato with a fabric scrap vest, scarf, dress or whatever you dream up. Add buttons or other supplies.
- Once kids are finished dressing their potatoes, it's play time! Have kids act out specific roles based on their potatoes' emotions or decorations.