Make a Prediction
Get ready to become a master of division! While playing a simple card game, your third grader will learn how to differentiate between even and odd numbers while diving. Gather two to four friends to play and get ready to find patterns and earn points while problem-solving.
What You Need:
- Deck of cards with the face cards (jacks, queens, kings) removed. You might need two decks if you're playing with a big enough group of people
- Scratch paper
What You Do:
- Choose one player to be the first dealer.
- Ask the dealer to remove and set aside three sets of cards (12 cards), from the deck. This should all be done secretly. When we played our set contained 4 of the same card.
- Have the dealer shuffle the remaining cards. Deal 10 cards to each player, placing them face up on the table.
- Ask the players to look at their hands and figure out their points. Even numbers = 1 point, cards divisible by 3 = 6 points, cards divisible by 4 = 8 points, and cards divisible by 10 = 1 point. Players receive multiple points if their cards fit into more than one category.
- Once the scores are tallied, have the players look at the cards set out on the table. Ask them to guess the three card values which do not appear, trying to determine which cards the dealer removed from the deck. For each correct guess, players receive 1 point.
- Add up the final scores to see who's won!