Presidential Info Board
Introduce your first grader to our country's most famous leaders with an artsy info board full of facts, patriotic colors and coins! The perfect project for presidential holidays or even just an impromptu history lesson, this is one arts and craft project he can share, display and learn from long after the scissors and glue are put away.
What You Need:
- Poster board
- White paper
- Red construction paper
- Blue construction paper
- Printout of presidents' faces
What You Do:
- Let your child use scissors to cut out a medium-sized rectangle from the poster board.
- Help him form a "foldable" by bending the ends in until they meet in the middle. He should now have three separate sections.
- Have him trace the inner and outer flaps on blue construction paper.
- Have him use scissors to cut out the flaps from the blue construction paper.
- Put a light coat of glue on the inner and outer flaps.
- Help him attach the blue pieces to the inner and outer flaps of the poster board.
- Show your child how to trace the center poster board section on the red construction paper.
- Have your child cut out the red construction paper.
- Let him glue the red piece on the center section of the poster board.
- Help him cut out a few circle and oval shapes from blue and red construction paper. Don't worry if they're perfectly round or even the same shape.
- How much does your child know really know about the most influential presidents? Browse through the Internet and look up some fun facts about George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and our current president.
- Quiz your child on some famous presidential facts.
- Have him write one fact on the circles. The more fun the fact, the better!
- Help your child cut out the photos of the presidents.
- Have him glue the photos on the poster board.
- Now for the coolest part of the project! Let your child glue a quarter, penny and dollar to the info board. Talk to him about how and why our coins have presidents' faces on them.
- Have your child proudly display his new foldable where everyone can see it!