Flower Greeting Cards
Create a beautiful hand-printed card for Mother’s Day or to celebrate spring. Kids paint on yarn wrapped around cardboard to “print” onto white paper for both a card frame and the base of a flower picture. Flowers, stems and leaves are then cut out of colorful construction paper creating a colorful layered collage.
What You Need:
- 1 sheet of watercolor paper folded in half to make a card
- 3 Sheets of construction paper in bright colors
- Cereal box cardboard cut down to rectangles 3” x 4”
- Tempera paint
- White string or white polyester yarn
What You Do:
- Tape the end of the string on one side of a cardboard rectangle. Wind the string around and around the cardboard rectangle until you have lines of string covering the width of the cardboard. Leave space between the string for a more interesting print. Cut the string and tape it on the same side as the first piece of tape.
- Paint the string on the side of the card without tape with a bright colored paint using a paintbrush. Stamp the wet, painted strings onto the white card.
- Print more lines on the card, adding more paint as you go. To add more colors to the print, wind new string around cardboard, Start a new cardboard wound with string for each color. Allow the card to dry completely.
- Cut a square from one of the sheets of construction paper. It should be smaller than your card. Then, cut another square from a different color construction paper that is smaller than the first square.
- Print strings onto the smallest square you cut out and allow it to dry.
- Glue the un-printed square in the center of your card. Glue the small printed square in the center of the solid square.
- Cut a flower head out of a piece of construction paper. It can be a tulip, daisy or any other flower you can imagine. Cut out a small circle for the center.
- Glue the flower head onto the center of the small printed square, and the center dot in the middle.
- Write a message in your card to someone you love and brighten their day!
If you have room on your card, you can cut out a stem and leaves from green construction paper to add to the flower. Or, you can make multiple flowers by cutting out more shapes from the construction paper.