Homemade Pumpkin Pasta
Teach your child how easy it is to make homemade pasta, infused with a festive touch. The mighty pumpkin lends its nutrients into this childhood favorite, that makes a tasty and festive dinner any day of the week! Making your own pasta is easier than you think and a great way to boost your child's kitchen knowledge. Plus, there's nothing more fun than rolling and cutting up some sticky pasta dough. Leave the stuff in the box for another day!
What You Need:
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup pumpkin pie filling
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- Rolling pin
- Pizza cutter
- Plastic wrap
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
What You Do:
- Start by measuring the flour and placing it on a clean worktable with your child.
- Show your child how to create an indentation in the flour for adding the egg, salt, and pumpkin pie filling.
- Get ready to mix the dough. Encourage your child to squish and mix the dough together until it forms a soft mass. Add more flour if necessary.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap the dough and dust the worktable and dough ball with flour and unwrap the dough.
- Fill the stockpot half way with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Take half the dough and show your child how to use the rolling pin to roll the dough into a long and thin rectangle. Invite him to use the pizza roller to create long thin strips of pasta.
- Roll and cut the rest of the pasta and then drop the strips in the boiling water and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain and toss the hot pasta in the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then dig in!
The pasta tastes delicious alongside roasted chicken and greens.