Pumpkin Pop Tarts
Not just a great basis for jack-o-lanterns, the pumpkin is an extremely healthy seasonal vegetable that's full of vitamins and antioxidants. Celebrate the flavors of fall by making this sweet breakfast treat with your child--it beats the stuff from the box any day! Your child will hone her kitchen skills while tempting the entire family with this festive recipe. With the use of pre-made pie dough, this is truly a fail-proof recipe.
What You Need:
- Pre-made piecrust
- Measuring cup
- 2 c pumpkin pie filling
- Small bowl
- 2 sheet pans
- Rolling pin
- Pizza Cutter
- Baking sheet
- Pastry brush
What You Do:
- Invite your child to remove the piecrust from the fridge so it can come to room temperature. While waiting, gather the other ingredients needed for making the pumpkin pop tarts.
- Now she can gently roll the dough until it is nice and thin. Open the pumpkin pie filling and use a spoon to scoop out and measure the filling, then place it in a bowl.
- Next, your child can use the pizza cutter to cut the piecrust into long rectangles, about 3 by 6 inches in size. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Offer her the spoon to scoop rounds of the filling onto one end of each of the rectangle and then fold over. Your child can use the fork to press the edges and then poke holes on the tops. Encourage her to keep creating pop tarts until all the piecrust and pumpkin filling are gone.
- Now she can place the finished pop tarts on the baking trays and brush with a bit of milk and sprinkle with a dusting of sugar.
- The pop tarts can bake for 10-15 minutes. At this point, an adult should remove them from the oven and let them cool before enjoying as a breakfast or afternoon snack.