What better way is there to celebrate Mom than with a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T—courtesy of Aretha Franklin? Or letting her know she'll be in your heart—in the words of Phil Collins? Help your child show Mom how much he loves her through song ... with her very own CD! He'll brainstorm her favorite jams, songs that remind him of her, and other meaningful tunes, to make a personalized playlist. This CD will make the perfect accompaniment to serving her breakfast in bed, or giving her that morning Mother's Day hug. And as an extra bonus, it will boost his analytical and computer skills, too!
What You Need:
- Computer and Internet access
- Downloading software such as iTunes
- Blank CD
What You Do:
- For your child to make a compilation of songs specific to his mom, he'll need to carefully reflect and research songs that make him think of his mom, that she will appreciate. Have him answer some of these questions to prompt his ideas:
- What is your mom’s name or nickname?
- What does your mom look like?
- How does your mom make you feel?
- How does your mom make other people feel?
- What would you like to say to your mom?
- What has been the best time spent with your mom?
- He may also want to consider songs that were played during special moments or times that he's spent with his mom. Do they have a favorite movie that they've watched together? Encourage him to think about the soundtrack and the songs that are especially meaningful from it.
- Here are some other ideas to get him thinking:
- Are there any theme songs or songs with phrases that describe your mom?
- What us a song that she hasn't heard that he thinks she'll enjoy?
- What is her favorite activity? What would be a good song for her to listen to while she enjoys her favorite activity?
- Find a song for her to listen to when she’s happy, sad, or frustrated.
- Invite him to use a trusted (legal) program to download the songs for his mom. Arrange them in a playlist accordingly, or burn them to a blank CD.
- Next, have him write up a list of tracks and the reasons why he chose each track.
- Finally, play the CD for Mom! Make sure to give her a list of the tracks.