Play a Puzzle Piece Spelling Game
Practicing letters and words by writing them out is all well and good, but using old puzzle pieces to spell out your practice words is a lot more fun! Turn the game into a more permanent project by helping your child spell out her name and gluing it onto a stiff board to create a unique wall hanging to decorate her room.
What You Need:
- Puzzle pieces
- Strong glue
- Thick poster board or foam board
What You Do:
- Brainstorm a list of spelling words or letters that you want to work on with your child.
- Lay out the poster board on a table or on the floor to function as your work space.
- Challenge your child to form letters and spell out words using the puzzle pieces.
- After your child has plenty of practice, choose one final word, letter, or your child’s name to write out using the puzzle pieces.
- Glue the final word in place. Make sure to stack the puzzle pieces to create thick, attractive letters. Let dry.
- Help your child mount the final sculpture and hang it in her room as an exhibition of her talents as a speller and artist.