In this wacky group game, participants hold hands in a circle and work together to move a hula hoop around the group—without breaking the circle or letting the hula hoop touch the ground. Not only is this game a lot of fun, but it also builds group cooperation and teamwork and puts your flexibility, agility, and balance to the test! Kids will have a lot of fun twisting and flexing their bodies to get through the hoop and laugh in delight as the adults struggle to do the same! Since Rattlesnake Relay requires several participants, this is a great game to play at a birthday party or family gathering.
What You Do:
- Before you begin playing, explain these simple rules to the participants: (1) the hula hoop must not touch the ground at any time and (2) the circle of hands cannot be broken.
- Have everyone join hands in a line.
- Have the person on one end of the line place the hula hoop on her shoulder, then have her join hands with the person at the other end of the line to form a circle.
- Have each person wriggle and squirm through the hula hoop to help move it around the circle until it reaches the beginning again. Don't let the circle break!
- Once everyone gets the hang of the game, introduce a second, third, or fourth hula hoop into the circle to increase the difficulty.
If you have a lot of participants, you can make this game a race! Divide into two even teams and see which team can move the hula hoop around the circle first.