As Earth Day approaches, it's the perfect time to help your child brush up on his recycling knowledge. Be it bottles or bags, it's important that he learn what can and should be recycled. The best way to go about that is by turning learning into a fun recycling game. All you need are a few items to create a game that's not only perfect for Earth Day, but for every day of the year!
What You Need:
- Brightly colored posterboard
- Recycling themed pictures that complement each other
What You Do:
- Help your child cut out rectangle shapes from the brightly colored posterboard.
- Surf the Internet and pick out various recycling themed pictures that go with each other. For example, a stack of newspapers and a newspaper recycling bin, a plastics recycling bin and a picture of a plastic bottle.
- Print out the pictures.
- Cut the pictures to size so they fit on the rectangle cards.
- Have your child glue one picture on each card.
- Let the cards dry for an hour or so.
- Now the fun begins! Have him spread out all the cards so the blank side is facing up.
- Let him pick up two cards and flip them over. Ask him if they match.
- If the cards don't match, let him flip them over and try again. If they do, he can remove them from the pile. As the game goes along, talk to him about each type of recycling.
- Continue the game until you have matched up all the cards.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.