How to Make a Picnic Basket
Embrace a green lifestyle and enjoy the outdoors with a homemade, recycled picnic basket. Warm weather and a handcrafted snack-holder provide the perfect excuse to throw a picnic party. Your child can find all or most of the materials around the house, and then let his creativity loose! And even better: he'll boost his ability to follow directions and fine motor skills with this fun activity.
What You Need:
- Fabric scraps or paper
- 2 brass brackets
- Picnic food and blanket (optional)
What You Do:
- Have your child tear, cut, or rip the fabric into long strips.
- This step may be best for an adult: cut multiple vertical slits around the box, several inches apart.
- Next, ask him to weave the fabric strips through the slits to create a patchy pattern on the basket. Have him glue the ends of the strips securely onto the shoebox.
- Now, help him create a handle for the basket out of the box's lid. He can achieve this by cutting a long, thick strip from the lid, curving it slightly, and securing it to the sides of the basket with the brass brackets.
- Invite him to wrap the handle of the basket with fabric. He can get creative with this step, using one patterned fabric, or multiple alternating colors.
- Finally, he can pack up his homemade picnic basket and invite some friends on an outing!