Who knew it was so easy to put a new spin on a pair of old sneakers? By dyeing her shoelaces with ordinary fabric dye, your child can add some extra charm to her feet. She can try getting a few colors and tie-dyeing the laces, or dipping them all into one dye to create a solid color. This activity provides a great way to give her shoes a make-over without shelling out money for a new set of kicks!
What You Need:
- Several colors of fabric dye
- Buckets (1 per color of dye)
- Old shoelaces in need of a makeover
What You Do:
- Find a workspace where it's okay to get a little messy. Lay out old newspapers to help contain the mess and designate the work area. Have your child put on gloves to protect her hands from the dye.
- Now, ask her to mix dyes in separate buckets, according to the directions on the package. Please be sure to read the instructions carefully before you begin.
- Next, have her soak the shoelaces by dipping the part of the laces she wants to dye and holding onto the rest. She can repeat this process with as many different colors as she likes. She should lay the shoelaces out to dry on the newspaper.
- Finally, when the shoelaces are dry, thread them back through your child’s shoes and wait for the compliments to roll in!