Rhyming Picture Card Game
Rhymes are all around us! Get your kid in on this game of simple rhyming words, like chief/leaf and plow/cow. She'll match up cards with rhyming words and pictures on them. Rhyming boosts your child’s reading ability and vocabulary—plus the rhymes are fun to say. Before you know it, she'll be primed to rhyme all the time.
What You Need:
- Sheet of construction paper
- Printer and printer paper
- Glue stick
What You Do:
- To begin, think up three pairs of rhyming words.
- Guide your child with using the marker to divide the construction paper into six different squares.
- Then, look up simple clip art online for each term that you picked. (Royalty-free clip art can be found here: http://openclipart.org/.)
- Print out the clip art in sizes small enough to fit in the squares on the construction paper.
- Have your child use the scissors to cut out each piece of clip art, helping her if needed.
- Then, use the glue stick to glue the images to the construction paper, one per square.
- Have her write what each item is on the paper.
- Help her to cut out the squares of construction paper and shuffle them.
- To play the game, she'll sound out the word on each card and match up the ones that rhyme.
- Challenge her with additional, more difficult words!