After your kids finish carving the pumpkins, turn the scooped-out seeds into a healthy snack. This is a great opportunity to explain to your kids where seeds come from.
Roasted pumpkin seeds are a yummy annual snack, and they’re high in zinc and other minerals, amino acids, and Vitamin K.
What You Need:
- Pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
What You Do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spread aluminum foil over a baking sheet.
- Dig your seeds from your pumpkin and put them in the strainer. Carefully rinse them under cold running water, and separate the strings of pumpkin flesh from the seeds. The stringy pieces can go in the compost or the trash.
- Spread the seeds across the baking sheet, and spoon olive oil over them. Then sprinkle salt and cumin over them too. Mix them up to make sure the oil, salt and cumin are well mixed.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Take them out when they are golden brown and crunchy. Let them cool a while before eating them.
- Enjoy the pumpkin seeds alone as a snack, or add them to trail mix or salads.