Safety Pin Brooch
Safety pins are in—as jewelry, that is! This safety pin brooch is a delightfully quirky craft for your young fashionista. Even better, your kid can put together this very simple safety pin brooch in only one evening. This activity will also develop your child's eye for design as she works to balance color, size, and shape. Make a safety pin brooch with your child; it's the perfect accessory or gift for any occasion!
What You Need:
- Large safety pin
- Small charms, buttons and beads
- Thin ribbon, embroidery thread and latigo lace
What You Do:
- Ask your child to choose beads, charms, and ribbon in contrasting or complementary colors.
- Invite your child to figure out the order of the strings or ribbons by choosing which charms would look nicest next to each other.
- Instruct your child to measure five 5-inch lengths of the ribbon, thread, or lace.
- Ask your child to fold one length of ribbon in half and push the folded end through the safety pin.
- Have her poke the ribbon ends through the loop that she just made and pull the ribbon taut.
- Encourage your child to thread buttons, charms, or beads of her choosing onto the ribbon.
- Finally, ask your child to tie a knot in the end so the beads won't slip off. For visual interest, invite her to tie the knots at different levels.