Why are butterflies and salads alike? Because they both come from nature and can be incredibly beautiful! Now your child can combine the two by making a delicious salad butterfly, with all her favorite colorful ingredients. Challenge her to make one with all the parts of an insect: antennae, head, thorax, abdomen, wings and legs; Then watch it fly into your mouths!
What You Need:
- Red and green lettuce
- Any other vegetables that you enjoy. We used carrots, bell pepper and olives
What You Do:
- Head to the kitchen with your child and wash the vegetables.
- Peel any vegetables with inedible skin.
- Dry the vegetables with a paper towel or salad spinner.
- Have your child arrange the lettuce pieces on a plate to create the forewing and hindwing of the butterfly.
- Slice the carrot in half lengthwise and place it in the center of the wings to represent the butterfly's thorax. An olive makes a nice round head.
- Cut strips of any vegetable and place it on the head for antennae.
- Decorate the wings with other vegetables. Does this salad butterfly look like any real species?
- Enjoy the salad with your favorite dressing.