Put a spin on traditional salad by tossing in a few toothpicks! Your child can customize his favorite summer salad into something the whole family will love – along with honing his fine motor and culinary skills!
What You Need:
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- Small grape tomatoes
- Small balls of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Olives, red peppers, or slices of salami
- Paring knife
What You Do:
- Start by gathering all the ingredients and inviting your child to give everything a good wash.
- Offer your child the pairing knife and invite him to cut the small balls of mozzarella cheese in half as well as separating leaves of the romaine and cutting into 2-inch piece pieces.
- Now your child can also slice the cucumber as well as any other vegetables he would like to include on his toothpick salad.
- Invite your child to start threading his salad onto the toothpicks, mixing and matching the ingredients or keeping them all the same. Not only is he experimenting with flavor combinations, but honing his fine-motor skills!
Once he’s finished enough toothpick salads to share with friends and family, he can arrange them nicely on a plate with dressing on the side for dipping.