Your child can count down the days until Christmas while giving Santa's beard a trim. This adorable project encourages both counting and number recognition
What You Need:
- Construction paper (white, pink and red)
- Glue stick
- Red and white mini-poms
What You Do:
- Ask your child to cut out a long, white beard for Santa from one sheet of construction paper. It should look like an oblong oval. Kind of like a beaver's tail!
- Encourage her to cut out his face from a sheet of pink construction paper. This will be a short oval which will be placed sideways.
- Glue the beard over Santa's face.
- Draw two eyes for Santa.
- Cut out his hat from the red construction paper and glue it in place.
- Add on his nose and the pom at the tip of his hat.
- Ask your child to section out Santa's beard using lines going horizontal across the beard. Each segment represents one number. She'll want to draw enough lines to create room for 25 segments.
- Starting at the base of the beard, count backwards with your child from 25 to 1.
- Encourage her to write the numbers in the segments in that same order. The bottom segment at the bottom of the beard will be "25", the segment closest to Santa's chin will be "1".
- Each day ask your child to cut off one segment of Santa's beard to count down the days until Christmas.