Scherenschnitte for Kids
Scherenschnitte is the German word for "scissor cuts" which is an artistic tradition that dates back to the 16th Century. Using scherenschnitte, your science savvy second grader will be able to create and display each part of a vegetable!
What You Need:
- Construction paper (various colors)
- Stick glue
- Cutting mat
What You Do:
- Select the color you would like for your background and then set that construction paper sheet aside.
- Pick your vegetables. Root vegetables and carrots and onions work best for this project. Use a pencil to draw out the different parts of each of your selected vegetables on the colored sheets of construction paper. Each vegetable should contain roots, a stem and leaves.
- Use scissors to cut out each plant part.
- Assemble all of the plant parts onto the background and glue them into place. What other things could you display using scherenschnitte?