Vegetable Scherenschnitte Activity
Scherenschnitte is the German word for "scissor cuts" which is an artistic tradition that dates back to the 16th Century. Using scherenschnitte, your science-savvy second grader will be able to create and display each part of a vegetable!
What You Need:
- Construction paper (various colors)
- Stick glue
- Cutting mat
What You Do:
- Select the color you would like for your background and then set the construction paper aside.
- Pick your vegetables. Root vegetables, carrots and onions work best for this project. Use a pencil to draw out the different parts of each of your selected vegetables on the colored sheets of construction paper. Each vegetable should contain roots, a stem and leaves.
- Use scissors to cut out each plant part.
- Assemble all of the plant parts onto the background and glue them into place. What other things could you display using scherenschnitte?