Make a Back to School Calendar Activity
Get fired up for the new school year with a “Back-to-School Calendar" you and your child can make at home. It's a great way to get those wheels turning again as the school year starts up, while helping your child develop important organization skills that will help her throughout the years to come, both in and out of school! You and your child can pencil-in important dates and events for the school year, keep track of when assignments are due and impress the teacher prepared with how prepared you are. This is a tool you'll use throughout the whole year and it may even become a back to school tradition in your family!
What You Need:
- 11 copies of the calendar template
- 8.5" x 11" sheet of white paper
- 12" x 12" piece of cardstock, available in art and craft stores
- Current calendars for August – June (as a point of reference to fill in the dates)
- Academic school calendar's list of dates
- Crayons or colored pencils
What You Do:
- Write the numbers of the days for each month on our calendar templates beginning with the month your school begins (usually August or September) all the way to the month your school ends (usually May or June). Have your child count out-loud while you do the first month. She can help you write the numbers and the names of the months.
- Place the calendar months in order and lay the blank white paper on top of the stack. Staple the whole thing together.
- Flip the blank page, and you'll see the picture for the first school month.
- Using markers, have your child write “Hooray! I’m in 2nd Grade!” She can draw a picture of herself or glue on a photograph. (You can certainly do this activity for your child in another grade as well.)
- Turn the first month up and have your child draw on the back of the second month’s picture. She can draw a picture of her school and write its name.
- Turn the page again, and have your child draw her teacher and friends. Continue drawing pictures for each month. Your child can draw whatever she likes for each month. Some ideas are: school mascots or icons, favorite characters or scenes from books, seasons like fall, winter and spring, hearts for February, Chirstmas trees for December, or for the last month she can write “I’m finished with 2nd grade.” Encourage your child be creative!
- Write special events on your calendar using your school’s academic calendar, usually located on the school’s web site. After school begins, you and your child should continue adding events and due dates.
- Staple all the pages to the 12" x 12" cardstock so that it forms a nice border around the calendar. You can trim off any excess cardstock.
- Hang in a place of prominence and use it throughout the year! This is a great way to get your child excited about the academic adventures that lie ahead!
Tina Cho has been an elementary teacher for 11 years, mainly in the kindergarten classroom. She is currently a freelance writer.