Science Foldable Activity
The world of science is a big place -- especially when you're in first grade. Help your curious kid cut through the clutter and collect the facts with a simple and fun science foldable.
What You Need:
- Green construction paper
- Yellow construction paper
- Red construction paper
- Purple construction paper
- White construction paper
- Orange construction paper
- Colored pencils
- Poster board
What You Do:
- Help your child divide the poster board into three sections by folding the sides in until they meet in the middle.
- Show your child how to use a pencil to trace the inner and outer flaps on the green construction paper.
- Have him cut out the traced pieces.
- Next, let him trace the center section on the yellow construction paper.
- Let him cut out the traced section out.
- Have him use glue to attach the green and yellow construction paper pieces on the poster board.
- Have your child cut out small rectangles and squares from the red, purple, white and orange construction paper. Don't worry too much about the size -- each rectangle just needs to be small enough to fit on the poster board.
- Let him glue all the colored squares and rectangles on the poster board.
- On one shape, help him draw two thermometers - one to show a hot temperature and the other for a cold temperature.
- Have him use colored pencils to draw the clothes that people should wear in hot and cold weather. Make sure he draws these clothes next to the right thermometer.
- Have him draw a picture of a flower on another square or rectangle.
- Help him label the parts of the flower.
- Use another square or rectangle to explore the five senses. He should write the name of each sense and draw a sketch of the body part that goes along with it (i.e. smell and the nose, hearing and the ear, etc.)
- Have him write the names of the planets on another shape.
- Don't forget about the weather! Have your little meteorologist to have a square or rectangle that shows each type of weather -- rainy, sunny, windy, etc.
- Encourage your child to use his other squares and rectangles to explore science facts that he's interested in. Animals or elements, the human body or the ocean? It's his science foldable -- let him decide!