Introduce colors to shadow play with this creative and irresistible science activity! While this project requires a few extra supplies (one trip to the local hardware store should take care of everything), the result -- a dazzling array of rainbow hued shadow puppets -- is definitely worth it.
What You Do:
- Help your child screw the colored light bulbs into the plug-in light socket adaptors.
- Have her gently place each socket adaptor and bulb into the power strip.
- Let her plug in the power strip into an outlet near her white wall.
- Make sure all of the other lights in the room are off. (If natural light keeps getting in -- through windows or skylights, consider waiting to conduct the experiment at night.
- Create shadows on the wall with your child using your hands. What do she see on the walls? Are her shadows different colors?
- Encourage your child to see how the shadows vary when the lights are near the wall versus farther away. What other things can she observe about the shadows?
Colored shadows don’t just inspire scientific investigations: your child could even stage a shadow color puppet production with her friends!