Pre-photography, these black-and-white silhouettes were used to record a person's image on card paper. Go vintage with this creative way to transmit your child's image: personalize a pillow!
Bedtime is irresistable when kids have their own unique pillowcase. With a flashlight and your child as the model, you can create a one-of-a-kind pillowcase design that showcases your child's shadow image.
What You Need:
- Plain white pillowcase
- Pen or marker
- A dark room
- Fabric Paint
What You Do:
- In a room, secure your pillowcase up on a wall, holding it with painter’s tape to avoid any residue or paint peeling off when you remove it.
- Take a flashlight and set it on a chair or ask another person to hold it while you get ready to trace.
- Turn out the lights in the room and ask your child to stand very still while you attempt trace their head onto the pillowcase with a pen or marker.
- When finished, turn the lights back on.
- Take your pillowcase off the wall and have the child select a fabric paint to trace over your markings with fabric paint. Fill in the entire silhouette.
- Allow pillowcase to dry for at least 24 hours.
Feel free to personalize the pillowcase further by having your child write his name. Or, have him use fabric paint to make hand and footprints on the other side of the pillowcase. This project is a great way to capture a memento of your child at the moment the pillow is made. You'll be surprised how much his silhouette will change in just a few years!