Channel your inner shaman with a shaman stick made from recycled paper towel rolls and cereal boxes! Shamans have practiced their animal-centric religion in almost every continent - from Africa to Asia to North America. Incorporate your favorite animal into this zany art project and let your shaman stick accompany you on your adventures!
What You Need:
- Recycled paper towel roll
- Recycled cereal box
- Dried beans
- Tempera paint
- Paint brushes
What You Do:
- Brainstorm what your "spirit animal" will be. A spirit animal can an animal that you really like or an animal that you think represents who you are. Are you as brave as a lion? Or maybe you're as a gentle as a lamb or as hilarious as a monkey. You get to pick whatever animal you want!
- Paint your recycled paper towel roll the color of your spirit animal.
- With a pencil, draw the head of your spirit animal on the blank side of a cereal box. Try to make the head about six inches tall and 4 inches wide.
- Paint in the spirit animal head and allow it to dry.
- Attach yarn or feathers to the paper towel roll depending on what animal you chose.
- Trace the bottom of the roll twice onto a piece of the cereal box. Cut out the circles.
- Securely tape one circle onto the top of the paper towel roll.
- Glue the spirit animal to the top of your Shaman stick. Staple it in place to help secure it while the glue dries.
- Slowly pour a handful of beans into the paper towel roll.
- Attach the bottom circle with tape to help keep the beans in place.
- Add additional yarn and feathers to the bottom of your Shaman stick for decoration.
- Shake your shaman stick and listen to the the beans as they dance about inside the paper towel roll. Now you're ready for an adventure!