It isn’t surprising that we often associate silhouette art with winter since it has a cozy, vintage feel. Help your child create a high-impact piece of spring art for her walls when she shakes up this art form with a colorful collage background and paint in a vibrant spring color.
What You Need:
- Art canvas (recycle an old craft project or grab a piece that’s going to a garage sale anyway)
- Photos of flowers from a gardening catalogue
- Sealing or finishing agent (like Mod Podge)
- Paintbrushes in various sizes
- Acrylic craft paint
What You Do:
- Have your child select a variety of flower photos to cover the canvas with a collage. She can use small or large images or a combination of the two.
- Once she has the photos ready, cover the work surface to protect it from spills and stains.
- Using a large paintbrush, coat a section of the canvas with the sealant.
- Lay a photo or several photos on top of the sealant. Cover these with a second thin coat of sealant. Don’t worry about working all of the creases out of the clippings. This piece is designed to look like folk art; wrinkles and crinkles will add to the visual interest.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to cover the entire canvas.
- While the sealant is drying, wash the paintbrush.
- On a piece of paper, help your child draw the image that she will use for her silhouette. Remind her to keep the outline simple since she will have to trace it onto the canvas. Consider drawing flowers, a bird, or a bunny.
- When she has drawn a silhouette that she likes and the sealant has dried, help her trace the silhouette onto the collage. The pencil line won’t be dark, but don’t press too hard with the pencil—you might poke a hole through the canvas.
- Now it’s time to paint the background surrounding the silhouette. Because the pencil line may be difficult to see, it’s easier to start with a small brush and paint the outline around the silhouette.
- Switch to a larger brush and paint the rest of the background.
- When the paint has dried, add a second coat as needed.
Use this springtime silhouette as an Easter decoration or simply a bright and vibrant way to welcome visitors into your home!
Tip: Hang a gallery of small silhouettes together for greater visual impact.