Write Silly Sentences to Master Verb Tenses Activity
In second grade, your child will continue to learn and study the different parts of speech. One of the skills she'll be learning about is the different verb tenses. This activity uses fun and creative strategies to get her to practice putting sentences together using different verd tenses, but also boosts spelling and reading skills. The whole family can join in on this game--be prepared for lots of laughs!
What You Need:
- 20 index cards
- 2 paper bags or small boxes
- Drawing paper
What You Do:
- Write each of the following nouns on its own index card: dog, house, bus, ladybug, elephant, mother, father, table, boat. Or, if your child has any special interests or hobbies, feel free to substitute any of these words with other words!
- When you're done with the nouns, write each of the following verbs on its own index card: Fly, sit, run, sleep, sail, jump, climb, walk, ride, eat. Again, feel free to substitute any words if your child has any special interests.
- Get a paper bag and have your child label it "Nouns" with a marker, and put the cards with nouns on them inside the bag. Ask your her to explain to you what a noun is.
- Do the same with the other paper bag. Have your child label it "Verbs" and put the verb cards inside of it. Ask her if she would explain what a verb is.
- Then, ask her to take out a card from the verb bag and a card from the noun bag, and lay both cards on the table.
- Have your child come up with a sentence using the noun and the verb she just picked out of the bag. Encourage her to make it silly and outrageous! Let her know that she can use any tense of the verb she wants and that she can add prepositions, pronouns, adjectives, and adverbs to the sentence. If she seems stuck, help her come up with something.
- Once she thinks up a sentence, have her write it at the bottom of a piece of paper.
- Then give her the markers and let her illustrate it.
- Draw as many pairs of cards as you wish, and have your child come up with a sentence and picture each time. Note: if you've used all the cards, make more with new words so you can keep playing.
- Hang the pictures around the house for everyone to enjoy!
- If you want to add an extra twist to this game, have the whole family come up with a silly sentence using the same noun and verb. It's a great game that lets everyone show their goofy, creative side!