So Silly!: Make Your Own Putty Activity
The perfect activity for a rainy day, or any time your little one moans, “Moooo-oom, there’s nothing to do!”
If you use Elmer’s Glue-All (not the school glue), your putty should bounce and transfer pictures just like the store-bought stuff. Add food coloring or even a few sprinkles of glitter for your own take on the gooey original!
What You Need:
- White all-purpose glue (not school glue)
- Sta-Flo liquid starch
- 1-2 tablespoons Borax powder dissolved in 1 cup water
- Strong mixing spoon
- Resealable sandwich bags or other air-tight container
- Food coloring (optional)
- Glitter (optional)
What You Do:
- Combine equal parts glue and liquid starch, mix well.
- Add Borax solution (plus food coloring and/or glitter if you’re using it) to the glue/starch mixture. Mix very well.
- When the mixture becomes too stiff to mix with your spoon, use your hands to knead it into a rubbery blob. Your putty will probably need to dry a little before you can play with it.
- Cooling the putty slightly should make it more “bouncy,” but if it gets too cold it will shatter. Store your funny putty in a resealable sandwich bag or other air-tight container. Funny putty usually lasts about two weeks.