Make Simple Snack "Punch-Outs" Activity
While preparing your preschooler’s snack doesn't take that long, sometimes that’s just more than you’ve got. Want a couple extra minutes to finish your morning coffee or get that last bite of breakfast in? Here's a delicious activity that lets your preschooler prepare her own fun and healthy snack using cookie cutters. What food isn’t more appealing when it’s shaped like a little bunny? And also, not only will your child get a fun treat she's chosen herself, but she'll get to practice responsibility and fine motor skills at the same time!
What You Need:
- 3 to 5 cookie cutters of various sizes
- Various foods that your child enjoys and can be “punched-out” easily, such as soft wheat tortillas, cheese, apple slices, pear slices, and cucumber slices
- Various spreads and small spatula for spreading (i.e. hummus, fruit flavored cream cheese, peanut butter)
- Small plastic storage container
- Plastic plate
What You Do:
- Prepare various foods to be “punched-out” (slice apples, cucumbers, etc) and place them on the plastic plate.
- Offer your little chef the cookie cutters, and instruct her on how to use them.
- Let her get creative by “punching-out” her snack with the cookie cutters and topping it with a spread of her choice as desired.
- Have your preschooler place the snack “punch-outs” in the plastic storage container to take to school.
- Don’t forget that cleaning up is a necessary school skill. Show her how, and then you can both be proud of her for preparing her very own snack from start to finish!