Strawberry Spinach Salad Activity
Summer is a great time to get everyone in the kitchen to help make a quick and tasty dinner. Your child can whip together a sweet and savory salad with two ingredients she might not have thought as a good combination – but just might surprise the whole family with its flavor!
What You Need:
- 2 bunches fresh spinach
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1-teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1-teaspoon sugar
- Dash of salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon poppy seeds
- Paper towel
- Pairing knife
- Mixing bowl
What You Do:
- Start by inviting your child to rinse the spinach in the colander and then dry using a paper towel. She can tear the spinach into smaller pieces and place them in the mixing bowl.
- Now your child can wash and dry the strawberries and slice using a pairing knife. Using a knife is a wonderful kitchen skill that encourages your child’s fine-motor skills and confidence! Once she’s sliced all the strawberries, she can add them to the spinach.
- It’s time to measure! Offer your child a set of measuring spoons to measure and add the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, sugar, and poppy seeds. She can give everything a good stir using a spatula.
- Now she can serve up her salad for the family to enjoy alongside grilled chicken or pork chops!
Sarah Lipoff has a K-12 Art Education degree and enjoys working with kids of all ages.